Ibanez (アイバニーズ Aibanīzu?) is a Japanese guitar brand owned by Hoshino Gakki. Based in Nagoya, Aichi, Japan, Hoshino Gakki were one of the first Japanese musical instrument companies to gain a significant foothold in import guitar sales in the United States and Europe, as well as the first brand of guitars and basses to mass-produce the seven-string guitar and eight-string guitar.
The main characteristics that are common among all Ibanez RG guitars (RG stands for Roadstar Guitar are that they feature 24 frets and use thin necks, known as “Wizard”, which allows for faster playing. The RG features a line up of guitars with both floating tremolo systems and fixed bridge systems. The RG Premium guitars are similar to other RG models but are built in Ibanez’s premium factory to premium quality standards. The RG Prestige guitars are Ibanez’s top of the line RG models that are built in Japan. They feature higher quality materials, high craftsmanship, and higher quality bridges compared to other RG models.
- Ibanez DN
- The Ibanez DN guitar (DN stands for Darkstone) was developed for heavy metal guitar players. The main features of the DN are that it has a set-in neck for speed and playing comfort, medium frets, and coil tapped pickups. This guitar is currently discontinued.
- Ibanez X
- The Ibanez X guitars are Ibanez guitars that feature unconventional and unique body designs. An example would be the Ibanez Xiphos, which is stylized to look like the letter X. For all X guitars currently available and for more information, check the Ibanez Electric Guitar page here.
- Ibanez Artist (AR)
- The Ibanez Artist guitars were designed for heavy playing such as for heavy metal or traditional rock. The Artist ARZ is a single cutaway, 24 fret, 25″ scale guitar that features a wide variety of bridges and pickups depending on the specific model. The Artist ART is a single cutaway, 22 fret, 24.75″ scale guitar that features a hard tail bridge. The Ibanez AR is a reissued series originating from the 70s. The AR series features a set-in neck, double cutaway, with 22 frets on a 24.75″ scale.
- Ibanez FR
- The Ibanez FR is a simple body type guitar that is designed to be played in many music types.
- Ibanez Gio
- The Ibanez Gio are Ibanez’ budget guitars, designed for high playability at low costs. Many high end Ibanez guitars are recreated in the more affordable Gio form, such as the RGA and ART models.
- Ibanez Mikro
- The Ibanez Mikro series are small form factor guitars designed for children, beginners, or guitar players looking for a guitar that is easy to transport.